Junior Surf Sports
Aside from our Sunday activities there are competitions and carnivals which give children the opportunity to test their skills and fitness against their friends and other clubs. We encourage children to come along and have a go at these if they wish and some helpful advice includes:
- All Omanu competitors must be correctly attired in Omanu swimwear, rash shirts or vests and with an Omanu (red & white) club cap. Both the Omanu red rash shirts and the alternate coloured vests are sufficient for safety and competition purposes – the aim being that all are easily seen in the water.
- Be prepared – carnival days are much longer than a standard nippers day and often involve down time. Ensure you have sufficient food, drink, sunscreen, shelter, and warm dry clothing/towels/ or even blankets if need be.
- From the U10 (Yellow) and U11 – U14 age groups up you must have your 200m swim standard qualification if you are to compete in any water event.
- Again parents will be required to manage individual age groups and provide the official/athlete ratio at all carnivals and with other tasks such as loading and cleaning gear. We hope to use our expert event managers at the big carnivals to ensure Omanu stays on top in the competition arena.
To assist our Junior Athletes the following coaching options are available:
The role of the Academy squad is to provide a stepping-stone from Junior Surf to the Ocean Athletes Squad. Athletes are taught fundamentals in boarding and surf swimming by our volunteer coaches. These sessions give athletes confidence in the surf and away from shore and only soft boards are to be used (board sharing will be required).
Safety is paramount and parents are required to assist whether in the water (general use glass boards may be available) or watching their children from the beach.
The criteria for the Board Academy includes:
- Only foam boards to be used and boards may need to be shared
- Children from the U10 (Yellow) group upwards are eligible. Slightly younger (Green group) and capable children may also be eligible with club coaches approval
- Board academy attendees must have a current 200m swim standard qualification
- Coloured vests or rash shirts to be worn at all times
- 1 adult to 5 children when in the water
Coaches – Denny ENRIGHT & Jono YORK
Training Times : Tuesday 5-6pm & Friday 5-6pm (please come 15 minutes early to get your board)
Please note; regular users of the Board Academy coaching services must pay the Sport Fee ($50). This assists the club with costs for vests, gear replacement and repair.
Our professional coach Simon Wills run the Ocean Athletes training sessions. These athletes are provided with an opportunity to further develop their board and surf swimming skills. Athletes require a reasonable level of commitment in targeting the NZ Ocean Athletes competition and other surf sport carnivals.
Coach – Simon Wills
Training times: Mon / Wed / Fri 4.00-5.00pm (School Term) & Sunday 8.30-9.30am
Mon/Tue/Wed/Thurs/Fri/ 9.30-10.30am (School Holidays)
Please note; Ocean Athletes must pay the Sport Fee ($100) and Coaching fee ($100). This assists the club with costs for coaching, vests, gear replacement and repair.
More information about Ocean Athletes can be found here.