Lifeguard Award and Patrol Support
To register or for more information contact email@example.com
Below are the course dates and basic information for the lifeguard award courses this summer. More information will be sent closer to the course date, once you have registered.
At Omanu SLSC we run our lifeguard courses over three weekends which includes your Level 1 first aid and exam. We do try to accommodate busy lifestyles and candidates are more than welcome to ‘mix n match’ courses to suit. However, we do need to know ahead of time if you are unable to attend a course from start to finish.
- You must be 14 years of age at the time of the exam.
- You need to be a financial member of Omanu Beach SLSC please visit our website here for more details
- Course cost: Subsidised cost of $130, includes first aid course, workbook, manual, exam fee and uniform.
- If you already have a current first aid certificate (6400, 6401, 6402) you do not need to complete the first aid weekend
- We will teach you everything you need to know for your lifeguard award.
- You will need to make sure that you can swim (pool swim) 400 meters in under 8 minutes and 45secs. If you would like support with swim training please visit www.omanuswimclub.co.nz
Course 1October / November 2019Weekend One – First Aid Level One19-20 OctoberWeekend Two – Lifeguard Skills Training2-3 NovemberWeekend Three – Exam Weekend
November / December 2018Weekend One – Lifeguard Skills Training23-24 NovemberWeekend Two – First Aid Level One30 November – 1 DecemberWeekend Three – Exam Weekend8 December
Our team of instructors will teach you everything you need to know to pass your lifeguard exam, and be ready to patrol the beach as a Junior Lifeguard or Patrol Support member.
In order to pass your Surf Lifeguard Award, you will need to be able to swim (pool swim) 400 meters in under 8 minutes and 45secs. If you would like support with swim training, Omanu Beach SLSC has it’s own swim club. Please contact the Omanu Swim Club for more information.
If you are unable to make the pool swim in the required time, you have the option of becoming a Patrol Support member. The Patrol Support qualification allows you to do everything a lifeguard would do (First aid, scanning the beach, communications) except the water components including rescues. Patrol Support members can be a vital asset to our patrols, and often specialise in areas such as first aid and search and rescue operations.
Once you have achieved your Surf Lifeguard Award you will join one of Omanu’s patrol teams and a whole world of opportunities will be available to you.
Becoming a lifeguard is just the first step on the lifeguard pathway. There are many different options for you to upskill and work your way to becoming a senior or advanced lifeguard. There is also the option of becoming a professional lifeguard which can be a great summer job especially for high school and university students. Check out the Lifeguard Development page for more information.