From the age of 5 years, children can join us to participate in Junior Surf, sometimes known as Nippers.
We encourage children to have fun and develop their skills, so that they can enjoy the beach and one day might be able to save someone else too. It’s about developing tomorrow’s lifeguards and opening up a whole new world to children. Omanu Beach SLSC has one of the biggest programmes in New Zealand
The Junior Surf sessions run on a Sunday morning, from November through to March.
Key Information for the 2020/21 Junior Surf Season:
October 13th – 5pm-7pm – Evening Rego.
October 18th – 9am-1pm – Rego Day.
October 30th – Omanu Club season opening Night.
October 31st – 200m Swim Badge testing.
November 1st – Junior Surf Sunday’s start and run every Sunday until December 20th
– Final Junior Surf Sunday session for 2020.
January 17th – Junior Surf Sunday’s start and run every Sunday until March 7th
– Final Junior Surf Sunday session for 2021.
November 3rd – Board Academy Starts and runs Tuesday and Friday until Friday December 18th. (8 to 10 year olds)
January 5th – Board Academy starts and runs Tuesday and Friday until late March – (weather and sea temperature permitting.)
Other key dates.
November 29th – Omanu Junior Surf Carnival.
December 18th – Omanu Junior Surf Christmas Party 5pm – 8pm.
+++++++++ – Omanu Club Champs.
We do our very best to minimise cancellations but beach safety and comfort of our participants are always top priority. If there are any cancellations we endeavour to post these on our “Omanu Beach SLSC Junior Surf” Facebook Page by 8am on the Sunday morning.
OMANU JUNIOR SURF PARENT HELPERS INFORMATION.
Junior Surf Leaders 2020/2021
Pink Group – Chris Emmett + TBC
Orange Group – Chris Emmett
Red Group – Dan Buckley
Green Group – Bruce Tod
Yellow Group – Dan Shea
Omanu Caps U11/U12 – TBC
Junior Surf committee chair – Jono York
Director of Junior Surf – Bruce Tod
How can I help on Sundays?
- JS runs Sunday 9.15am – 10.30 am. Please be seated on the grass in front of your age group coloured flag by 9.15am
- From 9.00 am each group needs a parent administrator to sign in all nippers. This is a simple task and just needs 1 parent per age group to stand by the appropriate age group flag and sign kids in against a prepopulated list and give them a stamp! Then at the end of the session sign the kids out. Please talk to us if you can help out here!
- Also often overlooked is pack up, wash down and gear lock up at the end of the session, please pitch in and help after the session finishes.
- During session we need parent helpers on the beach and in the water, especially with the younger groups as it is hard to organise and control many kids on the beach when there is wind, surf noise etc.
- For the safety of all our nippers we need to ensure that as a minimum we meet the SLSNZ ratio requirements for parents’ to kids in the water. This typically means that you need wetsuit or board shorts/togs on as you may be up to your waist in the water for 15 -20mins plus.
- BBQ duty. We will pre allocate the BBQ duties this year by age group. On the week that your child’s age group is on BBQ duty we need age group parents to cook and sell the sausages and clean up the BBQ etc. This typically will be from 10.00am – 11.00am please see your group leader and let them know if you can help. Basic petty cash retail skills required!
- Group Leaders need a 2IC, someone to help run their beach activities and give instructions during the beach sessions, this is a key role and we welcome anyone who would be interested in committing for the season. The club can offer you training via SLSNZ Introduction to Junior surf coaching day course. Let us know if you can help.
Not sure which age group you are for nippers?
Check out our graphic below: