From the age of 5 years, children can join us to participate in Junior Surf, sometimes known as Nippers.
We encourage children to have fun and develop their skills, so that they can enjoy the beach and one day might be able to save someone else too. It’s about developing tomorrow’s lifeguards and opening up a whole new world to children. Omanu Beach SLSC has one of the biggest programmes in New Zealand
The Junior Surf sessions run on a Sunday morning, from November through to March.
Key Information for the 2021/22 Junior Surf Season:
Junior Surf Registration Days
Sunday 17th October 9:00am to 11:00am
Friday 22nd October 4:00pm to 6:00pm
Late Registrations can be made on from 8:00am to 9:00am on Sunday 7th also.
First Junior Surf Session of the season
Sunday 7th November 9:30am to 11:30am
200m Badge: U9-U14 PARENTS – PLEASE READ
Our 200m test swim day will be taking place on the 31st of October from 9.30am at the Mount College pool.
What is a swim test, and why??
If your children are attending our Junior surf program this summer, children from the U9 (Green), Intermediate Surf, Board Academy or Oceans Athletes must pass their 200 metre swim test to be able to participate in the advanced water activities and in any competition with their age group.
Test requirements as follows;
- Candidates must swim 200 meters (using any stroke) in the pool in under 7 minutes.
- Candidates will be expected to tread water for one minute.
- It is expected that candidates demonstrate they are confident in the ocean and are capable of returning to shore if they are separated from their equipment.
The Junior Surf programme will run a 200m testing day early in the season at the mount college pool. Date: Sunday 31/10/21 from 9.30am
- A further option is for the athlete to have their test signed off by their certified swim coach with proof of this test being sent through to Omanu Sport Coordinator by email [email protected] or in person. Link to test form is here
Please note, the Junior and Intermediate Surf programme is not designed to teach your child to swim. If your child’s swimming is not to a level where they would be safe in the water then parents need to get their child to that level via swim coaching and ensure they are not extending themselves beyond their capability.
At Omanu Beach SLSC have our own associated swim club which runs throughout the year at the Mount College Pool. You’ll find all the information you’ll need on our Omanu Swim Club page.
Other key dates.
· Junior Surf Regular Session (all age groups) # 1 – Sunday 7 Nov 2021 (9:30am to 11:00am)
· Junior Surf Regular Session (all age groups) # 2 – Sunday 14 Nov 2021 (9:30am to 11:00am)
· Junior Surf Regular Session (all age groups) # 3 – Sunday 21 Nov 2021 (9:30am to 11:00am)
· Omanu Junior/Oceans Surf Comp (U8, U9, U10 JS – U11, U12, U13, U14 O) – Sunday 28 Nov
· Junior Surf Regular Session (U6 & U7 Only) # 4 – Sunday 28 Nov 2021 (9:30am to 11:00am)
· Junior Surf Regular Session (all age groups) # 5 – Sunday 5 Dec 2021 (9:30am to 11:00am)
· Junior Surf Regular Session (all age groups) # 6 – Sunday 12 Dec 2021 (9:30am to 11:00am)
· Junior Surf Christmas Party (all age groups) – Friday 17th Dec 2021 (4:00pm to 7:00pm)
· Junior Surf Regular Session (all age groups) # 7 – Sunday 12 Dec 2021 (9:30am to 11:00am)
Christmas New Year’s Break
· Junior Surf Regular Session (all age groups) # 8 – Sunday 16 Jan 2022 (9:30am to 11:00am)
· Junior Surf Regular Session (all age groups) # 9 – Sunday 23 Jan 2022 (9:30am to 11:00am)
· Junior Surf Regular Session (all age groups) # 10 – Sunday 30 Jan 2022 (9:30am to 11:00am)
· Junior Surf Regular Session (all age groups) # 11 – Sunday 6 Feb 2022 (9:30am to 11:00am)
· Junior Surf Regular Session (all age groups) # 12 – Sunday 13 Feb 2022 (9:30am to 11:00am)
· Junior Surf Regular Session (all age groups) # 13 – Sunday 20 Feb 2022 (9:30am to 11:00am)
· Junior Surf Regular Session (all age groups) # 14 – Sunday 27 Feb 2022 (9:30am to 11:00am)
· Junior Surf Club Champs (all age groups) – Sunday 6 Mar 2022 (9:30am to 12:00noon)
We do our very best to minimise cancellations but beach safety and comfort of our participants are always top priority. If there are any cancellations we endeavour to post these on our “Omanu Beach SLSC” Facebook Page by 8am on the Sunday morning. The will also be a ‘What’s APP’ notification to the Group Leaders.
OMANU JUNIOR SURF PARENT HELPERS INFORMATION.
Junior Surf Leaders 2021/2022
Pink Group U6 – Rachel Spencer
Orange Group U7 – Currently Vacant
Red Group U8 – Chris Emmett & Todd Murdoch
Green Group U9 – Dan Shea
Yellow Group U10 – Currently Vacant
Blue Group U11/U12 – Rueben Hansen & Paul O’Driscoll
Board Academy – Jono York & Denny Enright
Junior Surf Committee
Jono York – Chairperson
Chris Emmett – Director of Junior Surf
How can I help on Sundays?
- JS runs Sunday 9.30am – 11.30 am. Please be seated on the grass in front of your age group coloured flag by 9.15am
- From 9.00 am each group needs a parent administrator to sign in all nippers. This is a simple task and just needs 1 parent per age group to stand by the appropriate age group flag and sign kids in against a prepopulated list and give them a stamp! Then at the end of the session sign the kids out. Please talk to us if you can help out here!
- Also often overlooked is pack up, wash down and gear lock up at the end of the session, please pitch in and help after the session finishes.
- During session we need parent helpers on the beach and in the water, especially with the younger groups as it is hard to organise and control many kids on the beach when there is wind, surf noise etc.
- For the safety of all our nippers we need to ensure that as a minimum we meet the SLSNZ ratio requirements for parents’ to kids in the water. This typically means that you need wetsuit or board shorts/togs on as you may be up to your waist in the water for 15 -20mins plus.
- BBQ duty. We will pre allocate the BBQ duties this year by age group. On the week that your child’s age group is on BBQ duty we need age group parents to cook and sell the sausages and clean up the BBQ etc. This typically will be from 10.00am – 11.00am please see your group leader and let them know if you can help. Basic petty cash retail skills required!
- Group Leaders need a 2IC, someone to help run their beach activities and give instructions during the beach sessions, this is a key role and we welcome anyone who would be interested in committing for the season. The club can offer you training via SLSNZ Introduction to Junior surf coaching day course. Let us know if you can help.
Not sure which age group you are for nippers?
Check out our graphic below: