Our professional coach Simon Wills run the Ocean Athletes training sessions. These athletes are provided with an opportunity to further develop their board, running and surf swimming skills. These sessions also provide the best possible training environment for our young athletes to develop and grow, culminating in medals at the yearly Oceans Competition.
Age group: U11-U14
Training times 2017-2018
Diamond / Transitions
Training Times (School Holidays)
Mon/Tue/Wed/Thurs/Fri/ – 9.30-10.30am
Sunday – 8.30-9.30am
- Eastern Region Pool Championships. Saturday 23 September 12:00PM – Sunday 24 September 3:00PM. Eastern – Bay of Plenty.Venue: Te Rapa Waterworld Pool
- New Zealand Pool Championships. Friday 13 October – Sunday 15 October.Sir Owen G Glenn National Aquatic Centre, AUT Millenium, Auckland, National
- First day of Oceans Training: Friday 27 October 2017: 4.00pm
- Omanu Junior Surf Carnival. Sunday 26 November. Eastern – Bay of Plenty
- Bay of Plenty Junior Championships. Sunday 17 December 9:00AM
- Papamoa SLSC, Eastern – Bay of Plenty. Papamoa Junior Surf Invitational Event.Saturday 20 January 8:00AM.Papamoa SLSC, 561 Papamoa Beach Rd, , Papamoa Beach, , Papamoa 3118, Eastern – Bay of Plenty
- Eastern Region Championships – Juniors. Saturday 10 February 8:00AM – Sunday 11 February 4:00PM. Ohope Beach, Eastern – Bay of Plenty
- U14 New Zealand Surf Life Saving Championships (Oceans’18).Thursday 1 March – Sunday 4 March. Orewa
OBSLSC provides as much equipment as it can to athletes to conduct training at the highest level. Funding is always sought to try and provide this.
Athletes who are a part of the Ocean Athletes squad are required to pay a Sports Fee of $100 dollars for the 2016/2017 season. This cost will cover athlete’s board allocation, board repairs and the use of the clubrooms.
Athletes are also now required to pay a $100 Coaching fee to train under the programmes provided by our Head Coach, Assistant Coach or Sprint Coach
Payment can be made at registration time or through the club office.
Boards are provided for the athletes use. A gear allocation form needs to be filled out signed and returned before any board is allocated. Boards are allocated with consideration to results, commitment to training and attitude. For example at the beginning of a new season athletes will be ranked/grouped according to who medalled, consistently made finals, trained hard and displayed commitment.
Athletes are required to purchase club togs and a cap for racing. These items can be purchased through the club office.
A safety vest is provided at the start of the season once an athlete’s training fee has been paid for. Loss of the safety vest will require the individual to purchase their next one.
A safety vest MUST be worn when in the water at trainings as well as during competitions.
Wetsuit gear is also essential during the months leading up to summer. Appropriate wetsuit gear can be purchased from our sponsor Mount Surf Shop.